Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Imogene Coca


Inspiration always comes in many powerful forms. For me, the most powerful tends to be from other human beings who have preceded me in this business. I’m inspired by and eternally grateful for the work that they did, as women, to pave the way for women like myself. I can’t even imagine what they were up against. They certainly were up against a lot more than myself, as the business was so very much run by men during the talkies and into the early days of television. Hell, it sort of still is in some regards. Well, not entirely. The ladies are moving on up and I’m always so proud to hear of powerhouse producers and directors just creating.


My first favorite lady that I want to pay tribute to is the always funny Imogene Coca.

My first manager, while I was still in college, used to describe me as a young Imogene Coca. Like most people my age I responded, “Imogene who?” And I was berated for my lack of knowledge of her presence in early television. Like a good student, I immediately did my research. Upon first glance, I had to know everything about her. Her large eyes, petite frame, dancer-like physicality, and ever so expressive face made me believe that I was staring back at myself. She was I or I am she. Doesn’t matter. She quickly became my comedy god and I her idolater ready for consumption.

Imogene Coca was one of the absolute first women to be a televised comedian. She worked alongside Sid Caesar in his Your Show of Shows. While on the show she worked with such writers as Mel Brooks, Woody Allen, and Neil Simon; and performed often with Carl Reiner. She was by far my favorite comedy partner to Caesar and in my humble opinions, so much funnier. She steals every scene with a simple look. She was hilarious. Unfortunately, there is very little out there of her.

Here’s a perfect example of her physicality, her expressions, and her ability to make you laugh without having to say a word. And the entire time you can’t keep your eyes off of her.



Her resume was as petite as her frame. She had few successful television productions and made an attempt to go out on her own with The Imogene Coca Show, which lasted only a season. You may recognize Coca as the loony aunt in The Brady Bunch and once again, the loony grandmother in National Lampoons: Vacation. Yup, she was the one strapped to the top of the van.

She was hilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment